Jim Thompson is the Vice President of Engineering Strategy and Chief Engineer at Unisys. In this role, Jim is responsible for the design and development of technology products that align with Unisys' strategy and marketplace needs.
Jim's career with Unisys spans more than 30 years in various engineering and customer-facing roles. He is also responsible for creating the vision and architecture for Unisys ClearPath Forward® software environments and other strategic products.
Prior to joining Unisys, Jim held various technical positions in financial institutions and commercial firms, and also worked as an independent consultant.
Jim holds technology patents in operating systems, storage and banking. In 2015, in recognition of driving innovation at Unisys, Jim received the prestigious Corporate Innovation Award from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Philadelphia Section. Philadelphia Business Journal also named him among the “Top IT Pros” in the region that same year.
Jim also holds several technology patents in the areas of operating systems, storage and banking including:
- US Patent 7,734,952 - System & Method for Maintaining a Constant Processor Service Level in a Computer
- US Patent 7,657,675 - Dynamic distribution of I/O resources in a partitioned computer system
- US Patent 7,543,168 - Specifying an operating system level to use after reboot
- US Patent 6,505,307 - Method and apparatus for ensuring data integrity
- US Patent 6,055,574 - Method of providing a service through a server with a virtual single network address
- US Patent 5,884,290 - Method of transferring funds employing a three-node real-time electronic interlock.