Unisys Business Information Server (BIS)
Your engine for turning raw data into actionable information
YOU ARE YOUR DATA
The world isn’t simply data-driven. It’s data-defined.
Businesses thrive on data. They lean on it to build their strategies and enhance productivity. They use it to uncover customer insights and monetize new services. They look to it to reveal hidden competitive intelligence. And they rise and fall based on how adept they are at collecting, understanding, and utilizing their data to respond to new demands and capitalize on emerging opportunities.
But, given the mountains of data your organization creates, transmits, and receives every day, it’s common to wonder how?”
How can you make sense of all this data? And how can you transform it into something that adds lasting value to your business and its offerings, while helping you better serve your clients and partners?
Enter Unisys Business Information Server (BIS).
A TRUE DATA TRANSFORMATION ENGINE
Database. Scripting language. Decision-support tool.
Dynamic and secure, with the flexibility to access common external databases and run on popular operating systems. Web-enabled for remote access.
BIS is all of this and so much more.
It’s a highly scalable, multimode, enterprise-level rapid application development and information access tool built to support business-critical solutions.
With BIS, you’ll be able to create, organize, and manage your business logic, information, and web assets in an integrated environment. And with a powerful application development and deployment foundation – one that’s simple for non-IT employees to understand and use – your organization can transform data into intelligence that’s tailored to the precise needs of specific departments, lines of business, and user groups.
WHAT MAKES BIS TICK
BIS is built around a number of core functions that work together to provide the decision-support and application development capabilities your organization needs to do more with – and get more from – its data.
Key features include:
- Extensive data analysis and summarization functions: With well over 100 built-in functions to search, display, analyze, and update your business information, as well as manipulate and manage data reports or results, you’ll be able to easily perform such functions as:
- "What if" and trend analysis
- Data mining
- Complex analysis
- Database querying, graphing, and charting
- Casual report browsing
- A simple data storage model: Using a familiar storage model – reports reside in folders that are stored in “drawers” of electronic filing cabinets – you can easily access and manipulate data and drill down through it to find what you need, in your preferred format.
- Powerful application development tools: With a robust, intuitive development toolkit, it’s easy to create fully featured decision-support applications for a variety of uses across the enterprise.
- Multi-platform support: The ability to run in ClearPath® OS 2200, Microsoft® Windows®, and Linux® environments makes BIS an easy addition to your IT landscape.
- Robust networking capabilities: A rich set of features for building client-server applications allows you to arrange the data and processing where they are most effective – information hubs, departmental servers, multifunction PCs, etc.
- Support for multiple databases: Aside from its own high-performance database, BIS includes native access to numerous relational database management systems, including Relational Database Server (RDMS) for ClearPath OS 2200, MySQL®, and Oracle®, as well as most databases that support ODBC access.
- Graphing capabilities: With built-in graphing functions, you can create customized charts – including bar, pie, timeline, mixed, and Pareto – for the clearest possible presentation of your data.
- BIS surround capabilities: With these complementary offerings, you can enrich your core BIS for ClearPath OS 2200 environment with Windows or Linux versions of the tool that enable you to do things like provide web and mobile interfaces to OS 2200 assets, or enable SQL Server or ODBC access to OS 2200 resources.
PUTTING BIS TO WORK
With such a wealth of capabilities, there are many, many ways to leverage the power of BIS. Wondering how you can use it?
Consider these examples:
- You could build an online application that aggregates data from a variety of sources, such as user-created spreadsheets and business systems, to create reports management can use to analyze inventory levels and align need and demand with supply
- You could give field agents or on-the-go salespeople a mobile interface to your back-end databases, helping them process claims or build quotes in real time, right from their smartphones
- You could integrate new Java development projects with BIS using the tool’s standard Java EE Connector, enabling any Java application to access BIS while making it easier to build next-generation IT environments
Or, you could do something entirely different. With BIS, the opportunities are only limited by your imagination.
A WORLD OF INFORMATION IN YOUR HANDS
When you bring BIS into your environment, you’re not just enhancing your ability to access information and make swift decisions. You’re empowering your colleagues – and business users in particular – to take a more involved, active role in helping the organization get more value from its data.
With BIS, you’ll be able to:
- Access and manage data that’s scattered across multiple platforms
- Develop applications that freely use this data to support a variety of needs
- Integrate databases residing in departments, the data center, and external environments
- Turn your subject-matter experts into BIS developers