Governments around the world have just begun to authorize the first COVID-19 vaccine, putting into overdrive a massive effort to deliver doses for first responders and others. This milestone has spurred widespread news coverage and, more importantly, conversations of much-needed hope leading into 2021.
It is certainly true that this year has been unprecedented, and many of us have been confronted with personal loss, professional uncertainty and social unrest. Throughout the world, communities have also been devastated by environmental distress from Hurricane Laura in Louisiana to Typhoon Vamco in the Philippines.
While there is clearly light at the end of the tunnel, the vast majority are still in the tunnel. So how do we get through to the other side?
While our spirits have been tested, we have remained resilient.
For several months, many have done their best to slow the spread of the virus and not increase risk through following relevant guidelines, such as the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regulations to wear masks and practice social distancing. We have adapted to our “new normal” as kitchen tables turned into office desks and living rooms turned into conference rooms. Stories of support have been inspiring throughout the world as our ability to lean on one another is more important than ever.
2020 is a testament to our resiliency as individuals and as a society. As we close out the year, we must strive for unity as a way to strengthen that resiliency. Fortunately, the holiday season is the best time to promote this message!
Need holiday cheer? If you spread it, it will come.
As we draw closer to the new year, we should reflect on and celebrate the work we have done to support our families and communities. At Unisys, here are a few ways we are virtually celebrating together and giving back to one another and our communities this holiday season:
- In the United States, we have partnered with the world-renowned Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to host a virtual toy drive. The hospital uses the donations to purchase gifts and other items needed for families and children staying at the hospital.
- In India, associates came together in November to celebrate Diwali, the festival of lights, and Unicare, our corporate social responsibility Council, is spreading holiday cheer by distributing basic essentials to underprivileged families.
- In Asia Pacific, our associates in the Philippines united in response to two major typhoons that affected the region. Associates sent monetary assistance, food and basic supplies as well as an outpouring of care and kindness.
- In Latin America, our associates, clients and partners united virtually to commemorate the end of the year and celebrate at the Unisys Music Festival. The festival spread cheer by bringing together musical performances from our associates throughout the region.
- In Europe, Unisys associates in Hungary have joined the Baptista Services’ Online Shoebox campaign. While associates cannot donate shoes in person this year, they can purchase a shoebox online, which will be delivered to families in need.
The holiday season is often a time to share our resources and open our hearts in support of one another. I encourage you to continue to reach out to your colleagues, your loved ones and your communities after an incredibly challenging year. While we express gratitude for the best of 2020, let us have hope for a better 2021.
May you find the time to relax, refresh and renew.