Unisys Appoints FBI Veteran William Searcy III to Lead New Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security Initiative
Unisys' initiative will draw upon its expertise and success in implementing multi-agency projects and apply its solutions to help governments around the world detect and counter threats. In particular it helps governments efficiently process public safety investigations and border traffic, transition IT infrastructure to the cloud, leverage predictive data analytics and use digital government technology to achieve their law enforcement and border security missions.
Searcy will employ leading Unisys solutions such as:
- U-LEAF™ (Unisys Law Enforcement Application Framework) – A law enforcement solution designed to help justice and public safety agencies collaborate to conduct and successfully close investigations and intelligence activities. U-LEAF serves as the basis for the Home Office Large Major Enquiry System (HOLMES), a system that has been used to detect 97 percent of all reported murders in the UK.
- LEIDA™ (Library of Electronic ID Artifacts) – A development framework for identity solutions that has been deployed in some of the largest civil biometric identification systems in the world, including Mexico (110 million citizen identities), South Africa (35 million) and Angola (20 million).
- The Unisys Secure Image Management Solution – An advanced digital facial recognition solution that provides law enforcement agencies with a digital vault of still and video data, used to process 2.8 million crime scene Images by the New South Wales Police in Australia.
- Unisys' Automated Targeting System – A risk assessment system employing advanced data analytics that is used by US Customs and Border Protection to assess all inbound travelers and cargo – processing over 1.3 billion transactions and 60 billion queries daily. It is also used to process 349 million searches annually by 22 countries that share and maintain criminal history records in Europe's Schengen Information System.
- Unisys' Border Security Integration solutions deployed at all major US land border crossings to enable processing of vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
Searcy retired from the FBI in 2015 as the deputy assistant director for the IT Infrastructure Division, where he also served as the interim assistant director. Prior to that, he was section chief for the Data Acquisition/Intercept Section at the Bureau's Operational Technology Division and section chief of the Enterprise Engineering Section of the FBI IT Engineering Division.
Throughout his FBI career, Searcy has demonstrated an understanding of the collaboration and information sharing needed to address today's counter-terrorism and law enforcement needs. For example, he served as a liaison to the CIA from the FBI's Science and Technology Branch and was responsible for improving cooperation between the organizations – work that earned him and his team the CIA's Meritorious Unit Citation.
As leader of this new initiative, Searcy will provide Unisys and its clients thought leadership, strategic direction and an extensive track record for interagency collaboration, and will work closely with Venkatapathi "PV" Puvvada, president of Unisys Federal, and Mark Forman, vice president and global head of Unisys' public sector business.
"Bill shares with our clients a dedication to public safety and border security, and how technology can be used to make the world safer," said Puvvada. "His experience as a law enforcement professional, his ability to collaborate, and his technology expertise will help Unisys bring our proven solutions for law enforcement and border security to government clients."
"Bill has a strong record understanding how information technology improves law enforcement at the international, national, state and local levels of government," said Forman. "His insights will significantly benefit our clients around the world in addressing important initiatives such as digital policing and counter-terrorism."
Unisys is a global information technology company that works with many of the world's largest companies and government organizations to solve their most pressing IT and business challenges. Unisys specializes in providing integrated, leading-edge solutions to clients in the government, financial services and commercial markets. With more than 20,000 employees serving clients around the world, Unisys offerings include cloud and infrastructure services, application services, security solutions, and high-end server technology. For more information, visit www.unisys.com.
RELEASE NO.: 0303/9396
Unisys and other Unisys products and services mentioned herein, as well as their respective logos, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Unisys Corporation. Any other brand or product referenced herein is acknowledged to be a trademark or registered trademark of its respective holder.
Kent Sholars, Hill+Knowlton for Unisys, 281-744-0170