Fire and Emergency New Zealand
Providing enhanced citizen safety via 100% available alarm monitoring system
The Business Challenge
React to first-responder rescue emergencies as quickly as possible by ensuring availability of the main life-critical message handling system, while reducing costs.
Unisys Application Services to develop and implement an IP-based Signal Transport System Message Handling System (STSMHS) deployed across a distributed operations environment, system testing and staff training/workshops, and 24/7 support and maintenance of application software and hardware platforms.
Results and Benefits
- Improved fire alarm response standards with the ability to manage ~40,000 message transactions per day in real time
- Managed huge spikes in fire-related and alarm error messages with no loss of performance as evidenced during the Christchurch 6.3 magnitude earthquake of 2011
- Achieved the ability to better prioritize multiple events, improve understanding of emergency situations and check discrepancies with local and regional information via regional polling reports
- Forced commercial alarm providers to meet stringent government mandated standards to minimize ad hoc alarm alerts
- Reduced maintenance costs and ensured maximum system availability and resiliency