A typical process flow, for the passenger, from web check-in to the airport bag drop, is as follows:
- During the web check-in, the passenger is asked if he/she has any bags to check-in and if he wishes to print the bag tags at this point
- The passenger can choose to print bag tags for 1-9 bags (configurable)
- The bag tag numbers are added to the pdf boarding card, so that the bag can be tracked if missing - e.g., put on the wrong flight
- Subsequent to printing the boarding pass, the passenger prints the
- The passenger then folds the letter or A4 size bag tags as per the instructions
- The passenger inserts the
bag tags into a plastic holder which will be provided (in most cases in the airport departure hall). This plastic holder will be re-usable (estimate at least up to 5 times)
- The passenger proceeds to the bag drop counter where the bag is accepted
Today self-service is an everyday reality of air travel as more and more passengers use internet, automated check-in, and self-service kiosks to check-in and print boarding passes or receive mobile boarding passes.
For carry-on only travelers such as business travelers, and frequent fliers, these self-service tools have greatly improved the pre-security-check passenger experience. However, for passengers with baggage, the check-in experience still requires queueing time which causes passenger stress and dissatisfaction.
Airlines are missing out on the positive operation effects of increased self-service through home printed bag tags – better passenger flow, better utilization of check-in counters and baggage drop points, and the optimization of agent resources.
Similarly, airports with common use technology are missing out on providing a unique service to attract airline customers and their passengers and to improve passenger flow. With faster passenger processing, passengers get increased dwell-time which can lead to non-aeronautical revenue growth.
The Unisys Home Printed Bag Tag solution increases passenger satisfaction and speeds up passenger baggage processing by expanding self-service capabilities and the printing of bag tags off-airport. By expanding off airport self service capabilities, eliminating the number of bag check steps at the airport and processing self-service savvy passengers separately, forward thinking airlines and airports can reduce overall queue times and process all passengers types quicker while reducing costs and optimizing check-in counters and check-in agents.
This solution is offered as part of our complete APPS solution or a stand-alone software as a service (SaaS) which can be integrated with any check-in and web check-in system. The stand-alone SaaS solution for home printed bag-tags is designed to be flexible and thereby capable of dealing with different scenarios depending on what functionality is available in the airport or airline’s existing check-in and web check-in systems and requires minimal technical changes.
For the passenger:
- Eliminate one more step at the airport
- Less time waiting at check-in queues which leads to reduced stress and a better travel experience
For the airline or airport:
- Quicker processing of the passenger at the airport
- Potentially more passengers (PAX) processed with a set number of bag-drop counters – i.e. staff savings, savings in the areas of bag-tag printer usage and media (both expensive so can accumulate to relatively sizable savings over a period of time)
- Unique service offering to gain competitive differentiation versus competitors