Jim Thompson is the chief engineer and vice president of Engineering and Supply Chain at Unisys. In this role, Jim is responsible for the design, development and manufacture of technology products that align with the Unisys strategy and marketplace needs.
Jim's career with Unisys spans 27 years in various customer facing and engineering roles. He is also responsible for creating the vision and architecture for Unisys’ modern mission critical products such as ClearPath, Stealth and Forward! Prior to joining Unisys, Jim held various technical positions in financial institutions and commercial firms, as well as being an independent consultant.
Jim holds technology patents in the areas of operating systems, storage and banking. In 2015, in recognition of driving innovation at Unisys, Jim was awarded the prestigious Corporate Innovation Award by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Philadelphia Section.
Jim also holds several technology patents in the areas of operating systems, storage and banking including:
- US Patent 7,734,952 - System & Method for Maintaining a Constant Processor Service Level in a Computer
- US Patent 7,657,675 - Dynamic distribution of I/O resources in a partitioned computer system
- US Patent 7,543,168 - Specifying an operating system level to use after reboot
- US Patent 6,505,307 - Method and apparatus for ensuring data integrity
- US Patent 6,055,574 - Method of providing a service through a server with a virtual single network address
- US Patent 5,884,290 - Method of transferring funds employing a three-node real-time electronic interlock.