New services provide comprehensive framework for managing and supporting mobile resources within the enterprise to enhance end-user productivity, maintain security and cut IT costs
BLUE BELL, Pa., November 6, 2013 – Unisys Corporation (NYSE: UIS) today debuted Mobile Environment Management (MEM) 2.0, a set of cloud-based or on-premise managed mobility services aimed at helping CIOs better support, manage and secure mobile technologies and resources used within the organization.
While the proliferating usage of “bring-your-own” devices (BYOD) in the workplace is making employees more mobile and productive, the plethora of different devices and data plans can lead to a costly “BYOD sprawl” of unsupported, unmanaged and untraceable technologies.
In addition, as Unisys-sponsored research has shown, many workers are using unsupported applications that unwittingly create security and support hazards for the company.
Building on Unisys’ suite of mobility solutions, the Unisys MEM 2.0 services provide IT organizations with a standard framework for managing and supporting mobile users and resources, while maintaining the security of corporate assets and reducing the cost of service delivery.
“Mobile device management and other point solutions alone can’t help CIOs tame the management challenges of widespread mobility,” said Larry Dunn, vice president, solution portfolio management, Unisys Global Managed Services. “Clients tell us they need a mobile services solution that addresses a full range of technology and business issues – from business process redesign through application management to expense management. Unisys Mobile Environment Management services provide a comprehensive suite of managed mobility services that meets that need.”
The following offerings comprise Mobile Environment Management 2.0: They are available as a suite, in modular combinations, or as standalone services:
- Mobile Device Management (MDM) Services. In release 2.0, Unisys has enhanced this service to manage policies for clients’ Android, Windows 8 and Windows RT devices, in addition to the iOS and BlackBerry devices already supported. Unisys can provision applications and place documents securely on all of those devices. The service also includes a service desk to respond to simple incident requests, such as informational queries, password resets and device wipes. An enhanced service option (MDMe) includes a Secure Email Gateway service that validates policy when mobile devices connect to the client’s Exchange ActiveSync servers.
- Mobile Application Management (MAM) Services. These new services provide end users with an enterprise application store (EAS) that can deliver mobile apps, manage volume licenses for consumer apps purchased in Apple iTunes, define application usage policy and report on app usage. An enhanced option (MAMe) provides additional security, wrapping apps in an extra layer of software so they can securely access enterprise infrastructure.
- Mobile Content Management (MCM) Services. These new services enable end users to access mobile document libraries (MDL) via their mobile devices. The services also enable IT managers to define policies for use of mobile documents and deliver and remove documents sent to end users through the library.
- Telecom Expense Management (TEM) Services. These new services help businesses streamline use of mobile and data plans by tracking end users’ smartphone usage and expenses. They can identify top resource users and use that data to evaluate the cost-efficiency of current plans and propose new plans that are more efficient in containing and reducing expenses.
- Mobile End-User Support Services. An extension of Unisys’ end-user support services, these new services are designed to provide the full range of mobile-user support to improve workforce productivity.
Unisys can host the MEM services in either a multi-tenant or dedicated cloud, or on-premise depending on the client’s requirements. Cloud deployment simplifies management of the entire solution and enables updates and changes to the software environment to be pushed out automatically and transparently to end users.
Unisys MEM services are a key component of Unisys MyWork ServicesSM – a suite of end-user services managed through a global service desk. Unisys MyWork Services use predictive analytics tools that monitor application, device and network performance to proactively seek and preemptively remediate issues that affect end-user productivity. MyWork services can be delivered through Unisys’ 12 global data centers and 20 multi-language managed services centers – all holding ISO certifications for service management, service quality and information security.
Unisys was recently positioned as a “visionary” in the Gartner, Inc. 2013 global Magic Quadrant for Managed Mobility Services. Unisys was evaluated based on its ability to execute and completeness of vision.1
Note to Editors
1Magic Quadrant for Managed Mobility Services, Eric Goodness, Gianluca Tramacere, Katja Ruud, 25 July 2013.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Follow Unisys on Twitter.
Unisys is a worldwide information technology company. We provide a portfolio of IT services, software, and technology that solves critical problems for clients. We specialize in helping clients secure their operations, increase the efficiency and utilization of their data centers, enhance support to their end users and constituents, and modernize their enterprise applications. To provide these services and solutions, we bring together offerings and capabilities in outsourcing services, systems integration and consulting services, infrastructure services, maintenance services, and high-end server technology. With approximately 23,000 employees, Unisys serves commercial organizations and government agencies throughout the world. For more information, visit www.unisys.com.
RELEASE NO: 1106/9204
Unisys is a registered trademark of Unisys Corporation. Any other brand or product referenced herein is acknowledged to be a trademark or registered trademark of its respective holder.
Brian Daly, 215-986-2214